The voting page for the 2023 Lotus, Ltd. Board of Directors is now live! Take some time to review the nominees and give them your vote of confidence, as we head into the new year 2023.
Doug Miller for President
My name is Doug Miller,
I am running for President of Lotus Ltd.; I have been a Board Member since 2018 and have been the Vice President for the past two years.
I have a been a Lotus fan since the 60’s and 70’s, watching Jim Clark at my first Indy 500 in 1965, and Mario Andretti at the Glen in 1978, I also purchased my first Lotus in 1979, a Europa (I unfortunately never got it running). It took me until 2012 to come back to the fold, I purchased a 2008 Elise SC California.
I am fortunate to have been a member of two great local chapters, first the Lotus Owners of New York (Loony) and now Lotus Limited Southeast (LLSE). I have attended all the LOGs since my first in 2013 LOG33, where I was a volunteered.
My goal as President of Lotus Ltd. will be to increase the benefits and value for all our members, especially at the Local Club Level. I feel the combination of my love of Lotus Race, Classic, & Modern, as well as my experience as a member of two great Local Chapters, will help me represent all the Lotus Ltd. members.
Christopher Lindley for Treasurer
I am the President of Lotus Owners Of Texas (LOOT), one of the most active chapters of Lotus Ltd. I am solely responsible for creating media, building and retaining member relationships, and planning monthly events. I have built the Lotus Owners Of Texas chapter from the ground up and I am also an active member with Lotus Colorado (LoCO), who nominated me to and now serving as Director At Large. I currently own three Lotus, 2005 Elise S2, 2011 Elise R S3, and a 2012 Evora S GP Special Edition. My first Lotus was a 1990 Esprit Turbo which I purchased in 1998. Through long time Lotus ownership and devotion to the brand, I have networked and maintained a relationship with my local Lotus dealership, who often invites the club to exclusive events . My wife and I are both avid drivers and often take two separate Lotus on road trips to Colorado. I have put much time and effort into growing LOOT as well as playing a significant role within Lotus Ltd.. If elected to treasurer, it’s my hope to keep the club financially on track and help it grow for future enthusiasts to enjoy.
Cora Gregorie for Corresponding Secretary
I have been involved with Lotus Ltd. for over 50 years. Most of the time I have held the position of Corresponding Secretary
and would like to continue for another term. I have been a sitting Board member for over 50 years and tried to provide guidance and direction. Besides the work as Corresponding Secretary, I have been involved in every one of the LOGs. Most of them I have been in charge of registration.
As a dedicated volunteer for many years,
I feel I have given my all to the members and would like to continue serving the membership.
Mick Opalak for Director-at-Large
Born in the Motor City, Mick Opalak has been a sports car fanatic his entire life. He was introduced to the wonders of a low mass vehicle via a series of Miatas, which were followed by a series of Lotus, both Elises and an Exige. He now drives and adores an Evora 400. Among his many accomplishments…
- President of Lotus Limited, Southeast from 2007 – 2017 and 2021 to current
- Co-chaired LOG29 and LOG37 in Birmingham, AL
- Secretly played “The Stig” on BBC’s Top Gear for many years
- Holds the lap record at several tracks (in his mind)
- Was the first person in America to total an Elise (true story)
- Has attended 15 LOGs
- Loves cross country road trips, mountain drives, and long walks on the beach
im Roberts for Director-at-Large
It is an honor and most gratifying to serve as a member of the Lotus, Ltd board. Below are some of my earlier and current projects for Lotus, Ltd. I appreciate your past support and solicit your support now and in the future. To quote Samuel Ullman, “Youth is a state of mind”.
- Started performance driving / racing in Germany 1969
- 4 SCCA National Championships, 7 HSR National Championships
- Race a Lotus 47 which still beats Porsches up to 2.8 liters.
- National Driving instructor for SCCA, NASA, SVRA, CHIN, PCA, MBCA, Lotus, Ltd
- 2004 joined Lotus, Ltd to help with LOG 24
- Drove Lotus Elise preproduction at Barber Motorsports Park to take passengers as intro to the Elise which was introduced to America at LOG 24.
- LOG 25 was appalled by lack of control at track day as was Barber Museum. We both put our cars back in their trailers after 1 session.
- Discussed safety concerns with LOG 25 chairman and Lotus, Ltd President.
- 2005 – asked to run for Lotus, Ltd board—beaten by 1 vote.
- 2006 – asked to fill vacancy on board with responsibility for Performance Driving instruction and safety.
- 2011-14 – Lotus, Ltd recording secretary and Driving Skills Director
- 2014-2016 – Lotus, Ltd National Treasurer and Driving Skills Director
- 2016-2018 – Lotus, Ltd Recording Secretary and Driving Skills Director
- 2018-2020- Lotus, Ltd Treasurer and Driving Skills Director
- 2020-2021 Lotus Ltd Recording Secretary and Driving Skills Director
- I have developed a track driving skills program with instruction in classroom and on track that has prevented crashing by providing in car instruction for all students not certified to solo.
- I have obtained Mercedes-Benz Club $5M track insurance that all tracks require starting with LOG 29 by my position as National Director with MBCA. This saves us $1000 – 2000 per event by having track insurance at no cost to Lotus, Ltd cost. We have now staged several track performance driving events without damage to any Lotus cars.
- 2009 LOG 29 Steering Committee with Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum.
- Brought in an MBCA national event to help with hotel and track costs which resulted in a substantial financial surplus rather than the anticipated loss.
- 2017 LOG 37 steering committee: made arrangements for hotel, track performance driving including insurance at Barber and Talladega while driving my Lotus in the vintage races.
- 2013-2022 Arranged for MBCA insurance, track rental contract, classroom and track instruction at Watkins Glen with Tony Vaccaro and David Nagler. Also promoted the event with MBCA for more participation.
- 2018- LOG 38: Coordinated Performance Driving at Nelson Ledges with MBCA again arranging track insurance and instructors and teaching the classroom session with Bob Metz as we do at Nelson Ledges.
- 2019 – LOG 39: Coordinated Performance Driving instructors, taught the 2 classroom sessions, and arranged track insurance with MBCA. Brought in a parallel MBCA event to help defray track expenses.
- The 2020 LOG was postponed a year and there was no LOG Performance Driving.
- 2020 – Arranged a joint Performance Driving event at Talladega Grand Prix with Ferrari and Mercedes-Benz Clubs.
- 2021 – Arranged Performance Driving in May with MBCA at Talladega Grand Prix.
- In October with FCA and MBCA Performance Driving at Talladega Grand Prix
- 2022 June – Arranged Lotus, Ltd participation with MBCA at Talladega Grand Prix.
- There was no Lotus, Ltd Performance Driving at LOG 41 (decision by LOG 41 committee)
- Working on Performance Driving at LOG 42
- Working on Performance Driving events at Watkins Glen and Lime Rock as well as Talladega.
- For every year on the Board I have served in an oversight and advisory capacity to every LOG.
- Have also been involved with the “digital transformation”
It has been most gratifying to help with expanding the Lotus experience in a fun and safe way. I would
be honored to have your support in continuing to serve on the Board of Lotus, Ltd.
With sincere appreciation,
Jim Roberts, DMD
Lotus, Ltd Driving Skills Director